Pages

31 January 2008

teach, teach me




the most alarming sign of the state of our society now is that our leaders have the courage to sacrifice the lives of young people in war but have not the courage to tell us that we must be less greedy and less wasteful. (wendell berry)

i treasure such wisdom--esp in times such as these. wise souls like Berry, we would do well to listen wisely in their presense.

now, as for what wendell said to ME:
"How does one stay whole, or fully alive? That is your question, isn't it? It is not a silly question, though it is not readily or easily answerable. You seem to think I have answered it, and I certainly have tried, but I don't think I've answered it fully, and I haven't finished answering it. There is a considerable difference between your twenty-three years and my seventy-three, but I am still working to answer your question for myself, and I dare not stop." wendell berry, 12/7/07

i wish i could walk through fields with this man and learn everything he has to share.
i think i just might try.
do you think it would be ok, mr. wendell, just for a day?
i think he would love it.
i would watch him write responses to his mail. (he gets so much mail and personally writes a response to each sender, he knows i covet these letters)

i would help him feed the animals.
maybe drink some tea with him on a porch.
i think you'd teach me some things i would never forget.
and i hope you'd see some future in me,
something
something
maybe something you couldn't immediately identify
but something
hope
or youthfulness
or desire
for change
for growth
for learning
...

No comments: