Pages

16 September 2008

ten-twenty-thirty

thirty pounds sounds like a lot.
but ten is doable.


i spent 19 minutes last night convincing paul that i had signed up for weight watchers. part of me would really LIKE to sign up for something, own that i need to lose ten-twenty-thirty pounds. but the central part of me thinks that's somewhat shameful. as if having admitted this not-so-fun-fact people will only now begin to notice that i have the extra weight already packed onto this "soft" body. it is a really sensitive subject: weight.

but ten pounds, almost everybody in this country could stand to lose ten pounds. and the people who don't need to often don't know it. when i encounter the vary rare human being who doesn't obsess over their weight and (seemingly) has no need to, i will from now on CELEBRATE them. that is certainly something they should be proud of.

i don't exactly want to become a calorie counter, but i assume i probably consume too many. so right here, right now i'm getting to it. i'm taking my 15 min breaks everyday and filling them with a brisk walk. i'm working out with michele consistently---and GETTING MY OWN BODY in motion as much as possible. i'm saying yes to breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, and NO to late night eating, excessive alcohol, random intake, and unplanned, unhealthy consumption. i'm drinking water---as much as possible---green tea, hot tea, 100% pure juice, and a bit of red wine. i'm packing veggies into every meal. fruit will be my best friend. i'm not eating a morsel after 8pm. i'm hitting it hard because it's been too long of putting it off.

summer of 2005 a friend and i took photos of ourselves in bikini's and intended to lose 15 pounds a piece. i'm not sure if we ever did, but i still have that picture floating around somewhere and right about now i bet i'd think that version of me looked pretty dang good. i need some accountability, obviously, and some friendship for this flight. i've got the lovely sir paul who encourages me to do whatever i think necessary to feel great. i've got michele who says "well 30 will take a while but as soon as we flush that first ten we'll be pumped for the road ahead." i've got lots of motivation: a new bike, a healthy body that MOVES, a mind that is sharp and FULL of good ideas. and i've got you.

what do you say, are you interested in coming along for this ride?? are you willing to sign up with me? meet me in the park Louisville and let's get moving. contact me if you're interested in starting our own little (free) version of weight watchers. i don't care if you're in Providence RI or Portland OR. you can be an accountability partner if you're willing to take that first step. it just means walking, working towards a common goal, logging meals and sending encouragement. i'm in. i'm interested. i'm invested in making me fine-tuned to how I like. be it ten-twenty-thirty pounds less than what i am right now. i'm on my way...

comment with your email or email me stephanie.tabb{at}gmail.com if you want to hear more. <3

8 comments:

Sticks and Stones Hemp said...

I hear ya, if I could get rid of 20 I would be a happy girl! My friend and I do the same thing, we look at old pictures when we thought we were "sooo fat" and wish we still looked like that haha.

Angie said...

Good for you!
I started gaining some weight and decided to nip it in the bud right away. I mainly owe it all to strength training.
Go for it!
Angie @ LonesomeRoadStudio

jenscloset said...

I was always one of those people that could eat whatever I wanted to, up until the age of 40! I recently lost about 10 lbs (that is really all I needed to loose) by a variety of things, watching what I eat-but not dieting, spinning classes at least twice a week, pilates twice a week, and working out on my own the other days (with one day off!)..and drink black coffee! yes-walking is a great exercise and doesn't require any equipment, except your legs!

sewmelody said...

Fantastic post! It's great to hear such a positive attitude about weight...And I'm rooting for you:). I am not overweight but very out of shape. My goals are to be able to run across the yard without getting winded and increasing my strength. I think both of those things will improve my quality of life tremendously. Thanks for the inspiration!

B.B. Bellezza said...

Okay, you have inspired me! I have a lot more than 10, 20 or 30 pounds to lose and it is extremely overwhelming to think about. However, I can commit to 10 pounds and after that....to 10 more...

Thanks for posting this!

Casbah Kitten said...

I am SO with you on this one! I've hit the middle age spread and I want desperately to lose 40 lbs! It may take me 4 years to do it but I will!! I've sat down and made up a list of goals in 5 lb increments with rewards for each goal. My BIG goal is a week's vacation at the beach. Please count me in as I'm struggling to reach my first 5 lb goal! oh yeah, my email is casbahkitten@yahoo.com

Jody Peach said...

I, too, can think of pictures from several years back when I thought I was so overweight then, but now see myself in pics and just feel dismay at how different I look now. I want to lose 25 pounds, but I like your idea of starting with a goal of 10. You're right, when you look at is as just 10 to start out with, it doesn't seem so daunting. Thanks for a great and motivational blog!

jopeach27@yahoo.com

Erin said...

weren't we going to do this when we got back from spain? ha! i think we at least started, but it didn't last long. but that was the OLD us, right? well, here's some accountability for you...i had a big bowl of ice cream this afternoon, as it was the boss's cumple, and his parents gave him some german sausage, so i'd already had that for desayuno. and i did not work out after work as planned. BUT, i made some healthy vegetable stir fry for dinner. Get on that bike Estef! (and remember to take some fotos for me)