summer's bounty: made easy.
binky has a gnarly but oh-so-deLicious tomato plant growing out of her compost pile, and while house sitting earlier this week, i decided it was absolutely necessary to make one of my favorite dishes. tomatoes were abundant and she had a fresh bottle of balsamic vinegar...who could resist?
seriously, this simple dish is luxuious tasting, light and would pair perfectly with a gourmet grilled cheese, smoked chicken breasts on the bone, red quinoa & fresh fennel, and either: piping hot, room temperature, or chilled.
For balsamic stewed tomatoes:
1 lb roma tomatoes, halved
1/2 sweet white onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, quartered
basil leaves (10-20, fresh)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/3 c Balsamic Vinegar (more to taste)
1 tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp Olive oil in a pan
- Sautee onion until translucent
- Add garlic and cook until aromatic
- Add tomatoes
- Pour in vinegar, remaining olive oil and brown sugar
- Simmer on low for 20-30 mins
- Salt and pepper to taste, perhaps add a splash of vinegar if needed
- Right before serving, add freshly chopped basil leaves
do let me know what you think if you try it! it's a favorite around here.