Pages

29 August 2010

just ask.

a few months ago, in june, while shifting gears between one phase of my life and another, i found myself needing to ask for some things i'd been hearing whispers about. the normal whispers, such as: get enough sleep, wake up on time, don't skip your workouts, were now being drowned out by new whispers, which were more specific and truly aligned to internal needs i was noticing.

i wrote about them here, and, for the first time, i really heard my own requests (specific and MONDO BEYONDO) with honor and appreciation.  i felt like i was working so hard that it was okay to just ask for what i needed.

here's the list, if you're interested:

i want:
~to have a carefree, feel good summer. sunshine and cookouts and activity.
~to be oh-so-comfortable in my skin. every curve and every pore. to look good and feel good from the inside out.
~a morning routine that feels right. i want to be energized & clear. no more haze.
~a workout partner. yep. i said it. any takers?
~to keep a blog that i want to read. stop envying other people's stories and start telling more of my own.
~my work/life boundary to be clear. lunchtime walking & healthy snacks & after-work gym time.
~more appreciation, less complaining, more gratitude and reflection, less worry and comparison.
~to start planning a blogger meetup. a lovebomb of sorts among our community of chicas.
~pw to find his way, a comfortable path that is challenging and exciting
~more quality time with family and friends (and maybe a few new local friends, while we're at it)
~a more professional wardrobe
~a clearer vision about what graduate program i'd like to pursue


and now, as summer tumbles to an end, i wonder, how am i measuring up? and where do i need to concentrate my energies and give deeper thought to breathing life into these requests?

so here's my overview. my analysis of the outcomes in red.

i want:
~to have a carefree, feel good summer. sunshine and cookouts and activity. granted it was an enjoyable summer, i wouldn't describe it with the words "carefree and feel good." more like, "lazy and fast." ~to be oh-so-comfortable in my skin. every curve and every pore. to look good and feel good from the inside out. work in progress. always a work in progress.
~a morning routine that feels right. i want to be energized & clear. no more haze. really epic failure here. i'm still bad at waking up and feeling energized. analiese marie might recommend not drinking coffee for a few weeks?
~a workout partner. yep. i said it. any takers? not that we're moving too fast here, but i had my FIRST blogger meetup saturday with a really lovely lady who I am pretty sure will be a fun workout partner and all around dear friend before you know it ;)
~to keep a blog that i want to read. stop envying other people's stories and start telling more of my own. green with envy, but its true, reading others' blogs had been more inspiring than disheartening this summer, and even so, i've been more empowered to tell my own story (even when my story is changing...) and that's the best part!
~my work/life boundary to be clear. lunchtime walking & healthy snacks & after-work gym time. let's be honest: still working on this. i'm up to almost always walking at lunch (even in the sorcher heat of summer) and mostly healthy snack, but after-work gym time? like i said, still working on that!
~more appreciation, less complaining, more gratitude and reflection, less worry and comparison. paul might tell you that i should be working harder on this, always, and he would be right.
~to start planning a blogger meetup. a lovebomb of sorts among our community of chicas. thanks to healthy living blogs i have found a few new louisville bloggers (hi rachel and sarah!) and my ongoing friendships with these lovely ladies have made a lovebomb of sorta a reality for winter/spring (perhaps!? who is in?!)
~pw to find his way, a comfortable path that is challenging and exciting probably fair to say he's still working on this ;)
~more quality time with family and friends (and maybe a few new local friends, while we're at it) had a great conversation with my dad yesterday about what this looks like for our family, as the dynamics change, we, too, are asked to change.  that's something i'm learning in my family and friend relationships right now,  it isn't always easy, but the yield is all that more bountiful.  sorry to say it again, but meeting rachel yesterday really plays into this! it was such a delight to meet someone who shared so many of my interests and also could give a new spin to life. 
~a more professional wardrobe always collecting bits and pieces of good looking items to add to the wardrobe. clearly this is an ongoing process ;) and i'm always open to suggestions (or donations?!)
~a clearer vision about what graduate program i'd like to pursue  well, here's the NEWS about this little request: i started taking a graduate level course this fall!!!  just last week, this little chica had her first day of school in over 4 years.  I am pursuing a Masters of Community Healthy at the University of Louisville's College of Education.  While I am currently provisionally admitted *until I get my GRE scores submitted*, I am taking a course this fall on Theories in Health Education and Health Promotion.  I received some amazing and helpful advice from a mentor in the College of Education, and was able to begin my coursework just last week.


so here's me on the first day of school (after a full's day of work, i might add!):

and here's the moral to the story:

just ask.

put it all out there, all you've got, and ask for what you want.
share the stories of your life with the people willing to listen.
hold nothing back.

because the more honest you evaluate what your life is composed of, the more certain your life will be made up of the people and the pursuits that matter most. keep turning stones over, keep your feet on the trail. keep dreaming your mondo beyondo dreams.  

there is so much goodness offered just for you.
if you would only ask.

xoxox
stephanie

4 comments:

Shari said...

Great post and something I need to do -- make a list of what I want.

BTW...I found your blog on the healthy living blogs site also. I don't necessarily write a 'healthy living blog', but I read a ton of them and find them very inspiring. I too am in Louisville so...hello neighbor! :)

Melita said...

you are TOO cute on your first day of school! love this post. love your honesty view on life and all it's glory! hugs!!

Analiese Marie said...

It's so true that we attract the thoughts we put out into the universe! And yes, I definitely experienced a shift toward calmer mornings when I cut back on caffeine. I'll admit there are mornings when I answer the call of the espresso machine, but for the most part, I stick to green tea and find that it provides a steadier stream of energy. xo

Rachel said...

Is that a pager on your hip? Hahaha