Pages

20 June 2011

the makings of a happy stefi

PW would tell you there are a few things that make this girl happy. i could be in a horrible mood (yes, me.) and instantly these things will make me happy. not happy for a minute and then mad again, but, "oh yeah, that's what i want my life to be composed of " happy. the people i love. the clothes that make me feel good. activities that bring a wide smile to my face. places around the globe that really awaken my spirit. 






why, one must ask themselves,
 isn't my everyday 
composed of 
these people and places and things?


good question! i think that's what gretchen rubin is getting at in her happiness book. and what thich nhat hahn means when he says "everyday when you wake up, there are 24 brand new hours to live." maybe happiness isn't a moment, but a composition. finely tuned to awaken our spirits to the bigger picture. after all (you know what i'm going to say, right?): it is our days that make up our lives. {annie dilliard}


mini me.
with all that being said, the mystery isn't that much of a mystery. so i present to you today, a bit of a manifesta:

  • i like my coffee black, my bath water hot, and my grandmother's oversized golden hoops. 
  • i love a picnic, sparkling wine and an extra firm (but not burnt!) crust on a creme brulee
  • handwritten letters are best, but if you must send an email, jump off the page with !!!, xoxox's and :) galore
  • music should be played loudly enough that i can sing and you can't hear me. unless of course, you're playing acoustic guitar: then i'm all ears.
  • balloons makes every occasion special. feeling blue? balloons. birthday? balloons. walk in the park? balloons.
  • swimming: yes, please! my preference is the doggie-paddle, but the water-puppy within will do anything to stay afloat.
  • long fingers and toes mean my jewelry must be made for royalty: big, shiny + a story with each piece.
  • i'd rather be a driver than a passenger.
  • everyday physical activity and moderation makes for a life-time of wellbeing. sometimes: splurge.
  • golden: shoes, accessories, dresses, planners, pens. anything.
  • while we're on the subject, pens: gel, no ballpoint. fountain, but of course. colorful, always.
  • i'll never be early, but rarely am i running late.
  • i can't sleep until i've written or called you back, thanked you properly for your kindness, or acknowledged a gift i've been given. if you haven't heard back from me, i promise you i'm not sleeping well.
  • i say a prayer for peace every morning.
  • some people have got it right. a particular person comes to mind: gg9a.
  • backscratching makes my heart go pitter-patter.
  • i love challenges, celebrations, honest conversation and meaningful exchanges. i'll never turn down a hug.
  • family + friends are here to provide constant inspiration and love. 
and there you have it, stephanie's list o' inspiration and delight. 
what makes your heart soar?

6 comments:

Jennifer Valentine said...

LOVE this!

Rachel said...

I love this post!

Jennifer said...

Wonderful! A manistefi, if you will!

http://chapternext.typepad.com

Elisse said...

Whenever I think of you, I always think golden :)

marybethboswell said...

**Coffee-- cream and sugar or not at all. (Unless I'm in, like, Kyrgyzstan and I'll take it however I can get it.)
**Basketballs. Plenty of 'em, feed 'em to me, swish swish swish swish.
**Early beach time, wind and surf, dogs licking me because all I'm doing is sitting there.
**Never early and rarely on time. I.e., always late. Doesn't make others happy.
**People I manage finally getting it. Or actually they finally get me.
**Lunch date with thich nhat hanh with annie dillard and tina fey, larry david, and ricky gervaise, just for the helluva it. What a crowd!

I like the thought of daily soaring, with whatever there is to soar with. I think Walt Whitman had good vibes about this in Leaves of Grass:

“I exist as I am, that is enough,
If no other in the world be aware I sit content,
And if each and all be aware I sit content.
One world is aware, and by far the largest to me, and that is myself,
And whether I come to my own today or in ten thousand or ten million years,
I can cheerfully take it now, or with equal cheerfulness, I can wait.”

marybethboswell said...

**Coffee-- cream and sugar or not at all. (Unless I'm in, like, Kyrgyzstan and I'll take it however I can get it.)
**Basketballs. Plenty of 'em, feed 'em to me, swish swish swish swish.
**Early beach time, wind and surf, dogs licking me because all I'm doing is sitting there.
**Never early and rarely on time. I.e., always late. Doesn't make others happy.
**People I manage finally getting it. Or actually they finally get me.
**Lunch date with thich nhat hanh with annie dillard and tina fey, larry david, and ricky gervaise, just for the helluva it. What a crowd!
**Creating connection moments with total strangers, just for the fun of it.

I like the thought of daily soaring, with whatever there is to soar with. I think Walt Whitman had good vibes about this in Leaves of Grass:

“I exist as I am, that is enough,
If no other in the world be aware I sit content,
And if each and all be aware I sit content.
One world is aware, and by far the largest to me, and that is myself,
And whether I come to my own today or in ten thousand or ten million years,
I can cheerfully take it now, or with equal cheerfulness, I can wait.”